Traveling can easily cause panic and anxiety if you don’t have the tools to pack and plan with ease. And what fun is that?! Not to worry, I’ve done the hard part and can guarantee something or maybe even multiple things on this list will make life exponentially easier for you and your family.
Here is the Family Travel Essentials list and essentials they are. I go over suitcases, packing organizers, a scale – yes a scale – kids recommendations, and much more. You don’t have to be a billionaire or a Kardashian to travel without stress. I got you!
Affiliate links are used in this post, therefore I earn a small commission on all qualifying purchases in this post and corresponding social media.
1. Hard-Sided Suitcases: I’ve owned this suitcase for a year now and I can attest to its ability to handle it all! Wipes clean with a magic eraser and is easy to maneuver.
2. Kids Scooter Suitcases: Our kids love these, especially during those long lines like customs and security. The only complaint is they can’t turn sharply. Otherwise, be prepared to be famous in the airport when your kids ride these around.
| 3. Compression Packing Cubes: The space these compression cubes create is unreal. Highly recommend! Short trips or long trips alike, they help make the most of your space.
4. Handheld Luggage Scale: I cannot begin to tell you how many times I’ve seen people be off with their luggage weight and then have to do the dreaded, and frankly embarrassing, trek off the check-in line to then open their bags and start frankly rearranging clothing. No one wants to move stuff from suitcase to suitcase on the floor of the airport. Solves the whole problem!
| 5. Mesh Bags: These Mesh Bags are perfect for shoes, dirty laundry, or tossing in your beach bag when you arrive. I also love being able to organize the dirty laundry per family member so I have less to think about once I’m home.
6. Silicone Cord Straps: Cords are so darn inconvenient that I can’t even begin to explain how much it triggers my OCD. The phone charger cords, hair appliance cords, and USB cords make me want to scream. Silicone Cord Straps help organize all the cords individually so you can pack them in one spot and they do not tangle up and create a cats cradle situation.
7. Inflatable Foot Rests: We used these on our last long flight with our 4-year-old. They let her stretch out her legs which is more comfty and kept her from swinging her legs and kicking the seat in front of her.
8. Kids Toiletry Pouch: Let’s be real, kids get excited to travel too and when their luggage and toiletry bags are cute and fun it gets them ramped up for learning how to pack their own things and enjoy the overall experience.
9. Pop Socket Charging Bank: One of my best purchases of 2022! The bank attaches to your phone with a magnet and charges while in use.
10. Doodle Board with Attached Pen: I say this with all the seriousness in the world; if the pend is not attached we don’t want it. I said what I said!
11. Motion Sickness Bags: These bags are flat before opening and super easy to pack. I usually add a few to my backpack and a few to my checked bag. They also make great trash bags for soiled clothing you need to hold or to organize waste while in transit.
12. Waterproof/Tough Playing Cards: Having a fun game on hand that doesn’t take up space is great for family travel. Waterproof/Tough Playing Cards are awesome for use on the plane, in transit, or on the beach. No worries about them getting wet and ripping.